Angina Community
Heart Problem

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Heart Problem

What is the meaning of LAE? I had my ECG and the result says LAE, is it a serious heart problem?
Hello.

No, it's not very serious as far as I know. LAE means left atrial enlargement, the upper left part of your heart is enlarged. The cause is usually high blood pressure or other factors causing the left atrium to work harder than it's supposed to (heavy aerobic exercise for a long time, valve disorders, stiffened left ventricle, etc).

LAE may predispose for atrial fibrillation, so you may want to keep this under control. Also, an ECG is not a very sensitive or specific test, so you may consider getting an ultrasound of the heart.

Ask your doctor what you should do. Good luck!