High Cholesterol
Hi, I'm a 45 year old female. 5'6" 137 lbs. I exercise 3x a week.  My father has quite the cardiac history with 3 heartattacks. The first at age 54. He is still alive at age 78. My total cholesterol was 255, my HDL was 84, my LDL was 154 and my chol/HDL ratio was 3.0. Triglycerides were normal @ 85. My VLDL was 17. I have tried very hard with diet and exercise to not go on statins. Even tried a vegan diet which lowered my cholesterol by 10%. In March of 2011 I was at a normal level of 193 and all other results were normal range. My question is should I give up and go on statins? I feel my genetic disposition is started to get the best of me. What is your recommendation?
Hi there!

I would recommend preferring diet modification and exercise over medications; though if the lifestyle changes have not been of much benefit, medications may be initiated after consultation with your treating doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care