Angina Community
I know I have anxiety but can I have angina too?

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

I am an eighteen year old male, which already basically rules out Angina as a cause of my chest pain, who has been suffering from exercise induced chest pain since I was sixteen. I have never led a very healthy lifestyle and I currently weigh 237 pounds or so. I have a decent cholesterol level, but my HDLs and Triglycerides are at very unhealthy levels, 21.3 and 254. I have a bicuspid aortic valve, but there is no sign of stenosis or reduced function there. I rarely exercise because any kind of exercise brings on the chest pain. This is a dull achy pain in my center chest and left breast. The pain has recently taken to radiating down my left arm. The pain is always accompanied by shortness of breath and sweating. The pain lasts as long as I exercise and then goes away after a few minutes of rest. I have had multiple echocardiograms done, including a stress echo, and they have all come back normal. I have had multiple stress EKGs done and they have all come back normal. I have never had a cardiac cath, nuclear stress test, or cardiac CT scan. I have been on an anti-anxiety medication, Prozac, at a rather high dose and have had no change in the chest pains. I tried an anxiolytic and had no change in the chest pain. I have tried muscle relaxants and NSAIDs and had no change in the chest pain. I really don't want to believe that this pain is caused by coronary artery disease, but I have no idea what else might be causing it. I am going to see a cardiologist for the second time on Monday and I was hoping that I could get an idea of what might be going on before I met with him so that I could ask specific questions. Is it even possible for my to have angina at 18?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Angina rates are increasing in the younger age group. This could be more relevant if you are a smoker, are overweight, have a positive family history, are a diabetic and have hypertension. If stress testing and repeated EKGs have been normal it’s unlikely the chest pain is due to angina. If with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. It could also be due to Pleuritis or pericarditis. Only further evaluation can help diagnose.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I am overweight, by about 30 or 40 pounds, and I have hypertension that is controlled only through the use of multiple medications. I also have a family history of heart disease and stroke. I have undergone multiple x-rays, none of which have shown inflammation, and I have tried muscle relaxants and multiple anti-inflammatory medications. No matter what I do, I cannot deal with this chest pain.