Angina Community
Low HDL High Triglycerides

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Low HDL High Triglycerides

My lipids levels when taken on an empty stomach are as follows :
Cholesterol 150.8 mg/dl
Triglycerides  248.00
HDL      27.06 mg/dl
LDL 73.47

My hands go numb during sleep. When I get up from sleep I can feel my hand slowly getting numb. This numbness lasts for about a minute. This has been going on for the past one and a half year. But of late this numbness is being accompanied by a distinct chest pain and extreme fatigue and shortness of breath.

My GP calculated the Chol/HDL ratio which works out to 5.6 and said that it lies in the low risk group and there is no need to worry. But as you can see my HDL is low and triglycerides are high. Do you think I am really getting chest pain in the mornings or I am imagining things? Do you think my cholesterol levels are normal and there is no need for medication ?

The best possible advise i can give you is to get your family doc to refer you out to a heart doc....if you are having chest pain, fatigue and shortness of breath you need to see a doc that does not do just "general" medicine but works only with the heart.  As far as the numbness goes it could be just about anything from a circulation issue, to a pinched sciatic nerve, to your heart....focusing on the Cholesterol and HDL levels is low priority when it comes to issues that are suspected of being heart related.  I would not take any meds at all until a heart doc has ruled that it would not be counteractive to what is happening with the heart.......for the 50.00 you would have to pay for the peace of mind is priceless and also is the smart thing to do....