Angina Community
Nitrostat and quintuple byass

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Nitrostat and quintuple byass

I am 35 and recently had a quintuple bypass.  I still have two more blockages but the surgeon said it was too dangerous to do seven at this time.  I continue to have pain down my left arm and chest pain.  My ejection fraction is 40%.  If I took a nitro every time I had pain I would take it 4 to 8 times a day.  Is this safe?  Can your body ever get "immune" to nitro and it not work as well?  That's my fear.  Thanks.
Hi there!

Well, it would be difficult to comment on the situation without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation. Though not particularly safe, it may be taken if required. Nitro tolerance does develop in a few individuals after continued dosage for long term and increasing the dose does not help overcome the effect. If there are continued symptoms, I would suggest seeking a review with your treating cardiologist for a possible change in the medications/ dosage before an intervention can be planned.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!