Angina Community
Nuclear stress test

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Nuclear stress test

In 2009, about a year ago, I had a nuclear stress test. I have mild angina, and had a stent installed in my right coronary artery in 2003. During the test I had severe chest pains, my brow was sweating and I had a difficult time breathing (it felt like a heart attack). When the test was over, the discomfort went away, but I was very tired and light headed. The cardiologist told me that it was not unusual to have that experience. My wife took the same test and had no discomfort (she does not have heart desease). I'm do for another stress test next month (but a treadmill type instead of nuclear). Should I be concerned. By the way, the test results were OK.
I personally would not be concerned in the least.  You will be in an extremely controlled environment for the test and they are prepared to handle anything at all that pops up.  If anything i would probably feel reassured.  Women and men are completely different when it comes to the human heart...we are just not wired the same period.  That is great news that the last test came out okay....chances are this one will too.......i would feel fine if i had to have a stress test and had to deal with symtoms (symptoms) because literally what better place could you be then in that environment?  Better than by yourself mowing the lawn with no one around you and stressing your heart out....i would feel very very comfortable knowing that i had so many medical professionals around me and could handle anything that popped up no matter how small or big....good luck w. your test and please let us know how it comes out...we are rooting for you....
Thanks. That does make me feel better.
   Last year my doctor scheduled me for a "stress test" at the local hospital.  I was alarmed when they inserted an IV in my arm. The radiologist then explained that they were going to inject a drug into me that would speed my heart up as though I were excercising, then they would inject a radioactive isotope into my heart and shoot gamma rays at it to take very clearly illuminated pictures. This was NOT the stress test I was expecting!  When I told them I had drank a cup of decaf coffee they canceled the "proceedure" for that day. I then did some research on my own.  (requested information provided to the radiology dept from the drug companies on the two drugs involved) After reading the info I decided not to have the proceedure at all because it was too risky, and could have long term adverse effects. I think they should tell people at the time they schedule these tests  exactly what they are, and if there is an alternative proceedure.  
Thanks for sharing your experience. Since my last post, I underwent a "treadmill" type stress test (with no drugs added) and experienced very little discomfort at all, which makes me very suspicious of the "nuclear" type.