Angina Community
Prinzmetal's Angina?

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Prinzmetal's Angina?

I know self-diagnosing is a HUGE no-no.....BUT...  I really believe I have Prinzmetal's Angina.

Two weeks after my 42nd Birthday I had a mild heart attack.  All of the doctors (including a Harvard doctor from Mass General) believe the heart attack was brought on by a spasm of an artery.  There is (was?) a 75% blockage in one of the smaller vessels, and they believe that the spasm is what caused the attack.  None of the doctors ever mentioned Prinzmetal's - but the word "spasm" keeps coming up.  Anyway, I am STILL having the very same discomfort almost every night for the past month; exactly what I experienced last year for months prior to the MI.  
Should I be concerned?  I'd hate to run to the doctor just to have them tell me I need to see a therapist (it's happened).  And does anyone know what the treatment is (if any)?  I take Aspirin, a statin, and Imdur 30mg daily along with some vitamins and Omega Fats. But, given the nightly pain, this obviously isn't working.  Is there anything else I could try on my own, or do I really need to consult the doctor (who I don't like, by the way)?

Thank you!
Good morning i read your post and absolutely have to tell you that you are a very wise wise person w. your statement in the first line of your post....and you are right it can be very dangerous because we do not have the ability to self med, self test, experience or schooling to diagnose, etc.  There are a couple of issues here for me w. your post tho...and the biggest one would be your last line that you don't like your doctor.  This causes all sort of problems here because you end up being like a dog that keeps chasing his tail and running in circles.  Not liking your doc brings up alot of trust issues which are important when we are ill, reluctance to going to see the doc when we are ill, and not believing a word they say. Your best bet is to get a doctor that you feel safe w. and trust especially if you have prior heart issues.  You could always post what city you are from and maybe some community members could weigh in on who they see that they have a good relationship w. but i would seriously change my doc sooner rather than later.  Now onto this thing w. Prnzmetals Angina.  So i think if your doc feels that you had a heart attack due to an artery spasm they were thinking that you either threw a clot or plaque broke loose impeding the bloodflow into the heart.  So in a sense that is a good thing because they no doubt ran the gambit if tests and in putting you on the aspirin as a blood thinner is seriously the way to go here.  As far as helping yourself out until you find the right doctor for you alot of people take magesium as a supplemental vitamin to help get rid of symtoms (symptoms) but you have to make sure that you are tolerant of it and should just make a quick call to your doctors office and ask them if they have any objections to you taking this supplemental vitamin to try to stave off the angina.  Magnesium has been known to really help w. angina and lessen the symtoms (symptoms) pretty dramatically but again you need to call the doc in case there are issues that may be hiding behind the angina and you don't want to mask any symtoms (symptoms) you want to take care of them via the doctor.  It won't hurt to call and ask them if they say no and want you to come in so that they can take a listen/look at that point definately go in whether you like them or not especially since you did have a heart attack so young.  I am so sorry that you are going thru this and its not like you don't have enough to worry about already. Call the doc today and see what they think....make sure you re post and let us know how it all works out...good luck to you mishmell.......
Thank you so much Cindy.  I've been meaning to make an appointment, but like you said...postponing due to not liking the doctor.
I've never heard of magnesium being used for angina, but I'm definitely going to check it out.  I have a habit of putting things off, which, I know, is not a good thing when it comes to one’s health.  But in my case it actually did turn out to be a GOOD thing. The doctor told me that if I had gone to the ER the night before (when I first started having the chest discomfort) they probably would have sent me home.  The only test that detected a problem was a blood test, and whatever they were looking for takes about 8 hours to show up in your bloodstream.  I was so used to having the chest pain at night (for over a year), thinking it was indigestion.  That's what lead me to believe I might have been having angina the whole time.  Scary...

Well, I'm going to make that call now.
By the way, I'm in southern NH.  Not too far from Boston (about an hour away).  So I have access to some very good hospitals.  I just don't know who the good doctors are.

Again, thank you so much for your message. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.  Not having a support group in my area, this is the next best thing!  =0)
Stay well.  ~"Mishmell"