Angina Community
Propranolol 80 mg er
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Propranolol 80 mg er

I take propranolol 80 mg er once daily. Objective is to maintain a resting heart rate of 50-60 bpm since I have grade three varices caused from portal hypertension a symptom of stage C decompensated cirrhosis. Since beginning this new medications (taken before bed) I wake up many morning with my heart pounding really hard then after about an half hour it returns to normal. Could this be a side effect of the medication or something else?

Thanks for any information.

Randy
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hey Randy!

Well, this could be a counter effect of the medication i.e. the body’s compensatory mechanism of normalising an increased low BP (high dose medication) or could result from other few causes such as stress/ anxiety, low blood sugar, cardiac arrhythmias etc. I would suggest considering a review with your treating cardiologist to look into possible secondary issues and depending on the cause detected, a management plan can be initiated accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hey Randy!

Well, this could be a counter effect of the medication i.e. the body’s compensatory mechanism of normalising an increased low BP (high dose medication) or could result from other few causes such as stress/ anxiety, low blood sugar, cardiac arrhythmias etc. I would suggest considering a review with your treating cardiologist to look into possible secondary issues and depending on the cause detected, a management plan can be initiated accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
1475202_tn?1388955435
Thank you for your response it is very helpful. Often I wake during the night with both arms very numb so it hurts. My average BP is 125/70 HR50-60 during the day.

It was suggested by my hepatologist to divide the dosage to taking two 40mg ER twice daily but when I communicated this to my general practice doctor it was somehow not changed when her office called in the prescription though she thought this would be no problem. Just an error I'm sure.

I never had this problem with my previous medication (metoprolol and lisinopril) but the propranolol was thought to be a more fitting beta blocker to assist with the portal hypertension.

Is the 40mg ER twice daily worth a try? If so I will further pursue this route. Thank you very much for your time and everything you do to assist MedHelp!

Randy

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Angina Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank