Angina Community
Question about possible SVT

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Question about possible SVT

Hello, and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question.
I am a 25 year old male, 6'2" 170 lbs. I have a relatively clean health history, I exercises regularly, and routinely reach 70-85% HR during exercise. My mother has what she told me was diagnosed as a harmless heart murmur (have known this for a very long time.)
To my situation. About a year ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a very rapid heart rate. After waking up, it lasted for another 10 minutes or so. I was on valtrex tablets at the time.
Since then, I've had instances of elevated heart rate and pulse sensations (I would have to sleep with an extra pillow elevating my head because the heart beat sensation I felt in my face was pretty unsettling.) But nothing every severe enough that I considered it a problem (or even really noticed.)
Two days ago, while in a movie I had a heart rate of about 120 bpm for roughly two hours. After the movie I went to the local international hospital (I'm in Beijing.) My vital signs came back ok, and my heart rate had dropped to roughly 95 bpm. He suspected SVT, but since my heart rate had dropped he thought an ECG would come back normal as I'd had a normal ECG about 6 months ago. He wanted me to have a holter, which I'm not against, but I have pretty poor health insurance and the coverage is limited abroad, so I wanted to wait until I got home.
Today I have a very mild chest pain on the right side of my chest (my right.) It's faint and it seems to be most pronounced when I inhale. Although it's been there throughout the day it's inconsistent, I can't reproduce the pain by any particular action, and again it’s pretty light. My heart rate today has between 70 and 100 (walking around town etc.)
I'm moving back to the US in five days. I'm completely fine with waiting to get this looked at further, I'm just worried it could be something more serious than SVT since I haven't had the holter yet.
Should I be concerned about something like VT? It's worth noting that, although I'm a coffee drinker, that day I had little to eat and for roughly a 6 to 7 hour window in the middle of the day, all I had was a 40g bar of dark chocolate, a coffee, and a beer. I'm wondering what your impression is of my situation.
Thanks again!
Hey,

Sorry to hear you've been going through this, I have been diagnosed with svt,  and I do sympathise with your situation. Svt usually is within the 150-220 range (but can get faster).  The sudden heart rate could have been either a brief panic attack, or it could have been an arrhythmia (which are more common than one would think) (svt in the absence of a pre-excitation syndrome such as wpw, or coronary artery disease isn't considered dangerous) to add, vt can (albeit quite rarely)  occur in people our age. which I will place a lot of emphasis on the rarely though. It can be "idiopathic" which is usually well tolerated if it originates in the Right ventricular outflow tract) or a product of cardiac conduction abnormalities called "channelopathies", I highly doubt these would be occurring if you haven't had persistent fainting spells that were a product of your palpitations, and if the doctor hasn't seen any ecg changes suggestive of these. The heart rate you mentioned (between 70 and 100) is considered normal sinus rhythm with 100 bordering on sinus tachycardia (which can be from anxiety,a bit too much caffeine,alcohol or just walking)  If a doctor has gone over your ecg and has found none of these signs of channelopathies, I would not be concerned. The holter monitor is advisable if the fast heart rates become reoccurring, although if it only happens rarely it would be wiser to ask for an event monitor that you wear over a longer period usually two to three weeks . The best advice I can give you at this time is relax for now! If you don't know what it is there is no need in worrying about possibilities, cross that bridge when you get there. ( I know the uncertainty can be burdensome, but it's counterproductive to let it bother you a lot). If the chest pain gets worse, or the fast heart rate doesn't slow down or becomes insanely fast, don't hesitate to get medical assistance, but I'm sure you're already aware of that. Good luck, I hope all turns out well and I wish you the best of health.  If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.