Angina Community
Shoulder painful to the touch

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Shoulder painful to the touch

I've worried I've had a heart problem for some time, tests say I'm fine. My shoulders would sometimes ache and I used to worry this was referred pain. Yesterday I noticed the top of my left shoulder hurts when I touch it. Am I right in thinking this pain can't be my heart because if I touch a specific point it hurts?
No it does not mean because its painful to the touch that it is not heart related, it is just another way to try to determine if it could be muscular, tension, etc and definately is not foolproof.  The true way is a consult with a doc or symptom....if you should suddenly become short of breath or have pain in the chest wall especially center of the just between the nipple lines on a male head to an E.R. to be looked at especially if you are a male and your family has a history of someone having a heart attack at age 50 or younger.  The main thing is if you have been doing any type of repetitive movement either at work or at the gym and using the upper part of the body and you are symptom free otherwise it may very well be muscular but because of your age, gender, etc. you just need to keep an eye on this.  Alot of times we are told that if you take the index finger and press it in the soft tissue and its an ouch moment the writing is on the wall but to me there would have to be a complete absence of all other symptoms and even at that i would still check in with my family doc to get confirmation........
Hi. My shoulder continues to bother me. It's not painful to touch anymore. I've had my shoulders and neck examined by a 2 doctors and a nurse since my last post. The first doctor said my shoulder seemed ok and suggested anti inflammatory cream. Secant doc and the nurse both remarked on bones grinding and crunching, particularly the left side. Doctor said it's start of arthrisis and to take pain killers if I need to.

I went to ER on Wednesday. Had the burning all day, also palpitations, nothing I could domes calming them. Pulse was 130 if I just stood up. I tolerated for several hours but couldn't continue at work, went to ER, they did BP and took pulse (high pulse, BP nit very high), also did an ECG which they said was normal and sent me on my way. Doctor said he was sure I'd not had/was having a heart attack and to see my GP. The whole experience at the hospital was unpleasant. Staff not interested, doctor cannot I believe base anything one one resting ECG.

I went to GP the next day, she has ordered some blood tests (blood count and TSH test as I wondered if hyperthyroidism could explain some of this). Palpitations settled down, shoulders still burn, no chest pain at all.my doctor said anxiety is a factor probably, I do have ventricular bigeminy which feels bad at times but she assured me this won't kill me. She was going to prescribe some beta blockers but then changed  her mind after I expressed concern about what might happen to me if I have a run of bigeminy when beta blockers have already reduced by heart rate to 60 or 70 (normal for me is about 100 if I walk on the flat, 4 flights of stairs it's 140). My BP is sometimes quite low I think (100/70) also. I was worried my vitals might all crash.

I'm not sure where to turn now or what to do. I'm seeing a counsellor for health anxiety, but while I accept I'm anxious I thing I'm anxious because of having worrying symptoms, not having symptoms because I'm anxious. I'm willingto try anything though but do worry the counselling is just training me to ignore symptoms thatbare potentially life threatening.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm desperate for help, unsure where to turn.
Anyone?