Angina Community
Stiff heart diagnosis

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Stiff heart diagnosis

67 yr old female w/atypical symptoms and an abnormal baseline EKG. Had a 2D echo and Cardiolite stress test. Echo showed preserved LV systolic function and diastolic dysfunction. Stress test cam back negative for myocardial ischemia.
I am 5/8, wt 177, P=73, RR=16, BP 140/76, BMI 26.91, vital signs remain stable, slightly overweight. Apart from left ventricular S4, physical exam is essentially unremarkable.Pulmonay..accessory muscles of respiration are not active. No tachypnea or clubbing. No chest cavity abnormalities. On auscultation, adequate entry into both lung fields. No adventitious sounds.
Plan at this time is conservative therapy. Zantac has helped heartburn. Will return to cardiologist in 3 months.
MY QUESTION IS: How serious is this diagnosis. I feel great! What is conservative therapy. I received no instructions on what to do. How can I fix this "stiff heart" which is what the cardiologist said I have. Is it possible to make the heart normal again and get rid of the irregular heartbeat? How do I do this without surgery?
Thank you...........can't get a feel of how bad this is....
Hi i read your post....no one can tell you how serious any condition is other than your attending doc and that is who you need to heed.  When your doc says you have a "stiff heart" i would assume he is talking about stenosis which is pretty common with S4...its too bad that your doc kind of gave you the laymans terms without instruction.  Usually with S4 its caused by high blood pressure or hypertension however only your doc can tell you the true tale.  As far as what to do with what you posted w. your B/P i am sure you are aware that its high and theres actually alot the doc can do to help you w. the irregular heartbeat as well as the high blood pressure...docs will usually prescribe a beta blocker to handle both so its sort of one pill does it all and if you aren't on a blood pressure med i would definately speak to the doc about it....one of the most common meds that helps alot w. both issues is antenolol...it keeps the blood pressure down, relaxes the heart and control the heartbeat.  I would definately make the call the first chance you get if the doc hasn't prescribed anything to you....it is totally up to the doc and yourself as to the treatment program that is right for you...make the call and yes with the right treatment program anything is possible in modern medicine....good luck with this and don't stop till you get the answers.