Angina Community
Viral Cardiomyopathy

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Viral Cardiomyopathy

I'm 29 years old. Just this past November I was diagnosed with Myocarditis/Viral Cardiomyopathy. I had a cardiac mri and a stress test done which showed an ejection fraction of 44%. Which was down from 65%. I was put on the lowest doses of Coreg and Ramipril. Now almost 2 months later I had a follow up sonogram and my ejection fraction has increased to the 55%-60% range. My cardiologist however told me that my heart is not contracting as strong as it should and he thought that might actually be "normal" for me. He also said that I have a pinnacle of extra tissue across my heart that is preventing it from contracting as strong as it could. He seems to be positive about the outlook now. He said there are also some small areas of fibrosis. Shortly after finding out about the myocarditis, I found out I was slightly hypothyroid, which I already knew. I've been on Synthroid since 2005 for it. I noticed that after a few weeks of increasing my Thyroid medication my ejection fraction improved. So, I wonder if it was low because of myocarditis or because of hypothyroid. Also just wondering what extra tissue across the heart is, which could be "normal" for me.  Just wondering if based on the information I have given you, if my prognosis looks good.
Hi there!

Yes, with the given information, the expected prognosis looks good as already mentioned by your cardiologist. The improvement in EF could be due to both, more due to improvement in myocarditis with a little effect from improvement in thyroid status. The extra tissue could be an extra conduction pathway or mild hypertrophy of one of the walls that could affect the EF.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!