Angina Community
is there such a thing as phantom heart attacks

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

is there such a thing as phantom heart attacks where you have all the symptoms of a heat attack but there is no damage done to the heart?
No such thing that i am aware of my friend......its like the old saying that if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is a duck.  It is not every event that when someone may suffer from a heart attack that there would be muscle or tissue damage because so many variables come into play.  Timing of treatment, what caused the blockage, lab confirmation, so many things.  I am a little confused here on why you are asking this misspoppy...are you or someone having symptoms of a heart attack and if so what are they, was it confirmed by a doc who told you there was no damage....if so what exactly did the doc say.....how long ago did this event happen, is it continuing.....lots and lots of questions here....if you could toss us a little more info it would be super helpful...like age, male/female and all of the above....also are meds being taken, were tests run and if so what type...the more you can tell us the better.
I am a healthy 45 year old and have had two 'phantom heart attacks'. The first in Mexico about ten years ago involved tightness in the chest, a stiff left arm, difficulty in making a fist with my left arm and, naturally, anxiety.  Because of the nature of my symptoms I was taken to the front of the queue at the Mexican A&E but after examination my heart was found to be functioning normally. This was confirmed when I returned to my doctor in the UK and he ran some tests to check everything was ok. Earlier this year I had a similar episode but held off going to A&E as I was afraid that it would be a waste of time. However after a sleepless night and continuing chest pains through the following day I went to my doctor who said she heard a heart murmer and sent me to A&E. I had to spend a night on a ward and during the night a man died in the bed beside me. In the mrning at about 11am the doctor came around, looked at my results and told me that my heart was perfectly healthy and I could go home.
My father also has had similar episodes. Many trips to the ER only to be told that there is no heart damage (EKG and enzymes) and sent home. The problem is 7 of those many times, a catheder was done and he was told that there was blockage and a stent was installed. Currently he has these episodes every day, some of which require a trip to the ER for morphine to get the pain to subside. Have you found a solution?
I am experiencing a series of fantom heart attack right now and they are getting worse. I am a 67 year old male, who have experience fantom heart attacks off and on the past year. A few weeks ago, I had what I thought was a heart attack. I packed a bag, woke my wife, and had her take me to the emergency room. I was expecting to stay for a few days. They ran all the test they could that night, released me from the hospital, and I had me take more test the next day. That was Wednesday.

Thursday night, I had another one, but it was not as bad as the first one. I got ready to go but did not leave home. On Sunday, I had another one. This time I had a name, Unstable angina. They said that this was not the problem, but I knew it was. They ran more test and let me go. I pleaded with the doctors to admit me for a couple of days, but they can’t justify it.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Unstable-Angina_UCM_437513_Article.jsp

Last night I went to another hospital and talked to a doctor. I was thinking that I might have the real thing at any time. He said it probably was heart burn. Now I am taking remedies of my now to avert another incident.

When I saw my primary care physician the following day, I showed him this article with this  quote highlighted “ Unstable angina is considered to be an ACS in which there is no detectable release of the enzymes and biomarkers of myocardial necrosis.” He said that that was not the problem.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/159383-overview

I asked the doctors to check me in for observation or give me and monitor so they can see what I feel. They can’t justify request. Nothing showed up on the nuclear medicine test. I don’t have cholesterol, but my doctor put me on statins and nexium for heartburn. My doctors have not been briefed on the seriousness, of fantom heart attacks. Excuse my errors.