Angina Community
positive stress test with negative nuclear scan

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

I had Lexiscan stress test today that caused me strong chest pains and I am told definite changes to the ECG. It was followed by a nuclear san that I am told was normal. My blood pressure remained at 179/110 for over an hour after the test. What could be going on here? I am scared due to very strong family history of CAD. I am a 59 yr old female.

I was scheduled for the stress test due to swell of my legs, shortness of breath and chest pressure.

During the crisis the MD presented stated that he expected to see a blockage on the scan. I guess he didn't see it..
Hi there!

Since the stress test has been positive further investigations such as CT angiography to look at the coronary circulation may be advisable. A nuclear scan does not directly demonstrate a blockade but checks for the viability of the heart tissue, indirectly checking for coronary circulation. Also if there is a CAD diagnosed, since the nuclear scan has been normal, it is unlikely to be advanced/ severe. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating cardiologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!