Angina Community
q waves
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

q waves

during an exercise test the doctor commented to a medical student that i had q waves.  what is the significance. but  
Related Discussions
1124887_tn?1313758491
I'm not sure how much you know about EKG readings, if you don't understand the answer, just tell me :-)

A Q wave is the first downstroke of the QRS complex. It's not always present, at least not in all channels (angles of the heart).

Q waves are to some degree normal, and represent the depolarization of septum (wall between heart chambers). If the Q waves are very deep or wide, they may represent areas of the heart not conducting electricity (thus, the voltage drops, creating this downstroke). This areas is often caused by earlier infarctions.

I have Q waves in my EKG, without any structural heart disease. They are obviously "borderline" thus from time to time, my EKG reading come back as "abnormal - old infarct". It's really annoying.

You should ask your doctor if the Q waves are significant (should be investigated further) or not.

Best wishes :-)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Angina Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank