Angina Community
severe angina

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

severe angina

This time last year my 58 year old father had 2 massive heart attacks and it was found these were brought on because of blocked arteries and that he had a biscupid aeortic valve. He had his valve replaced with a new one and bypass surgery, he also had a pace maker footed which we have since found out is working 100% of the time. Since then my dad has suffered severe pain in his chest up to 10 times a day both at rest while sitting or lay down. He has constant pain in his neck and shoulders and his left arm goes numb a lot. His GTN spray eases the pain but only for a few moments. After a nuclear scan he has now been diagnosed with severe angina. How is this going to affect his day to day life now?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Angina is not a diagnosis itself but a symptom of an underlying pathology which would need to be managed. With the description provided, the pain could be angina or could be causes by other few issues such as causes related to the GI, chest wall inflammation, neuro-muscular causes etc. If the pain is believed to be due to cardiovascular causes, it would need to be managed accordingly. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!