Animal Health - General Expert Forum
12 year old Cat with Renal Failure
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

12 year old Cat with Renal Failure

Hello! My 12 year old female cat had a blood test & urianalysis done a few days ago that indicated she has renal failure. This is her only medical condition and has been showing signs of renal failure for approx. 2-3 years (drinking alot, occasionally peeing somewhere she shouldn't) I really need some advice on treatment.

Her vet decided to put her on Epakitin (3/4 a gram twice a day) to absorb excess phosphate and Rehmannia 14 to stablize kidney function. I don't really know if Rehmannia 14 is a good idea or not. After a lot of research I've only found that it is commonly used for Cushing's Disease (which my cat doesnt have) & a kidney disorder that involves heating and cooling of the kidneys (which also isn't what my cat has). I don't see how it will stabilize her kidneys...

I personally beleive my cat should be on Rehmannia 8, Shut the Sluice Pill, or Azodyl. Then again, I'm not a vet and there could be a reason I'm not finding as to why he wants to use Rehmannia 14. I really need advice on what I should do... :(

Thank you for any advice!
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Tabby
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 03, 2010
Blood Test Results
:  
BUN: 92 MG
CREA: 4.2 MG
PHOS: 7.9 MG
CA: 11.7 MG
pH(ven): 7.60
PCO2(ven):: 25 mmHG
tCO2(ven): 23.5 mmol
Other pertinent test results