Animal Health - General Expert Forum
3 1/2 week old kitten unable to straighten head

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

One of my cat's kittens was born with its head turned sideways and when he/she was born she could not hold up his/her head. To get around he/she would roll instead of crawl. The vet told me to give the kitten a couple of weeks and it may resolve itself. He believes that the cat was positioned wrong inside the uterus and probably came through the canal wrong causing it to have this problem. He says it would normally correct itself.

The kitten is now 3 1/2 weeks old will be 4 weeks on Thursday and he/she can hold her head up now but still has his/her head bent sideways. He can walk but tends to do circles before he can get his barrings straight and figure out how to walk straight.

My question is how much longer should I give the kitten? Should I put the kitten down or is there something they can do for him/her?
  • babies (1 replies):
    My three year old cat just had 5 kittens a week ago. Sl...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Probably a birth defect.  Needs an exam to determine for sure.  Exam and radiographs will give you a lot of information.  If however this is a malformation it is most likely not correctable. I do believe an accurate diagnosis and assessment is in order before you make that decision.