Animal Health - General Expert Forum
4th stage renal failure

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

4th stage renal failure

4th stage renal failure in my dog
by aggieone, Feb 02, 2008 08:52AM
Tags: 4th stage renal failure
I have a nine year old lab  "Sandy Grace".  She is in fourth stage renal failure-Of course she has seen her regular vet for fluids-ultra sound revealed she has one kidney which is failing.   Creatine was 13-subs at home-now using hollistic and homepatic treatment.  Recently more bad days than good.    I am giving her ice chips which seem to work better for her than lapping.  Pedialyte ice is also better.  She throws up until she staggers and falls-I am continuously trying to hydrate her and giving her baby food-At times, she is able to keep it down,  other times the vomiting is horrible.  She continues to try for us, and we are fighting so hard for her-LIke others, I tuck her in at night (she sleeps on the loveseat with her "bankie" covering her).  I am sleeping in the den with her so I can give her support throughout the night.  Neither of us are getting much sleep.  I have her spoiled now with hand feeding other than her baby food, and I hold her plate while she licks it up.  I am using a recipe of egg yellow / whites, honey, and whole yogurt with a touch of dry powdered milk.  This works sometimes.  Sandy Grace is not ready to leave us-she continues to try-we try for her twenty-four hours a day.  Is there any over the counter medication that I can give her that will help with her vomiting?  We love her so much and she loves us so much-my husband and I feel like we will know when she is ready to go.  We went to grocery store yesterday to  buy more food supplies and liquids for her, when we got home, there she was looking out the window-barking for us to hurry and come inside-you open the door and there she is  - -so excited, still wagging her tail for us.  What can we do, this is our baby, she is so, so sweet-I know her days are numbered, but she is just not ready to leave. Help.    Aggieone
This is extremely sad and frustrating.   Ginger supplements work very well for vomiting and naurea.  You may be able to find powdered ginger in capsule form at a good health food store.  The problem is that it must be given often: every 2 or 3 hours.  Dramamine or anti-motion sickness medicine is also over the counter and should be effective.  Emetrol is a liquid anti-nausea medication and is also effective.

There are several Chinese herbal formulas that may be effective for kidney failure, and are available online:  Wei Ling Tang, Ba Wei Di Huang Wan, or, Liu Wei Di Huang Wan.  These can be used simultaneously, and may be worth a try since there is nothing in Western medicine that can help for kidney failure except kidney transplant. If you do get the Chinese herbs please start with a very low amount, such as 1/8 a human dose and frequency.  Gradually increase the dose over time to 1/2 to a whole adult human dose.  It may take 3 weeks or more to begin to see improvement though.