Animal Health - General Expert Forum
ACTH testing side effects
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ACTH testing side effects

Our dog was diagnosed with Cushings disease almost two months ago after having a low dose dex suppression test.  We took her in Monday for an ACTH test to see if her levels were ok.  After bringing her home, she couldn't or wouldn't get up and layed on the floor shivering all night.  She stopped drinking water and peeing until the next day, which before the test she had been going every hour,  The next day she threw up, which she never does.  Three days after the test and she is still not drinking or peeing excessively like she did (which is good if it lasts)  I told my vet she can't have the test again because I didn't think she would live from this one. He was clueless why she had this reaction, I don't think he's too familuar with this test, do you have any idea why she reacted this way?  He also said it was all right to ration her water if she starts drinking excessively again, is that okay?
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
shetland sheep dog
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 25, 2010
City
:  
dunkirk
State/Province
:  
ny
Country
:  
us