Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Advice needed, our baby is sick!

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Advice needed, our baby is sick!

We have a 12 year old chihauha mix (Otis), who recently - within the past 2 weeks noticed he was looking a bit thin. His appetite however was normal...then he developed breathing issues, breathing very rapidly and almost raspy at times, more so if he was nervous, or if he barked it would make it worse sometimes to the point where he gags/dry heaves and his little cheeks/ lips flutter when he is having an episode. He is now  very thin and he is no longer eating as of today, he hasn't had anything..we even made him a special meal of chicken breast with rice and a little broth he wouldn't touch it at all. Also noticed that even if he is lying down he tends to hold his head/neck up at an angle rather that putting it down to rest...so we would prop his head up in that position to make him comfy. Unfortunately money is an issue, so looking for a bit of advice/info to see if anyone knows what could be causing this. Would like to add that he has always been an inside dog aside from being let out in a fenced in area to do his business, and we've had him since he was a puppy. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
12 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuaha-peek-a-poo
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 20, 2012
Hi Jessie,
Sorry to hear about Otis. I am very concerned and unfortunately little can be done without a veterinary exam and some diagnostics. I would ideally want to see a pair of radiographs performed on Otis so that his lungs and abdominal organs can be assessed. Blood work would also need to be performed. I do feel that a cancerous process is highly likely and finding that out as soon as possible is needed to help Otis feel more comfortable.
I'm not the Vet, but while you wait on him to answer, I have a suggestion.....Everything you are describing is related to heart failure.....The reason he holds his head up is he is trying to breathe better...The congestion is fluid buildup in the lungs...He basically is suffocating!

CHF is very treatable & the medications are not expensive.....They will give him medication to make his heart work better & medication to get the fluid out of his lungs......

Heart Disease is not a death sentence any more for dogs than it is for humans.....

It sounds as if your guy is strugging at this point......You need to find a way to get to his Vet tomorrow......I wish you & Otis the best.......Karla
So the night of the day I posted this Otis started eating, it wasn't much and it was only on his terms. Since then he has been eating more and more, and is back to eating his dog food as well. His breathing is almost normal again, and he's back to playing and being almost his normal self getting better everyday...suppose it could have just been some kind of bug?