Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Anal Glands Infection?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Anal Glands Infection?

My dog has not been eating well and has had very loose stool with blood.  She has also been doing the butt scoot so I expressed her glands (first time I ever did this - yuk)  shortly after that she went outside again and still loose with blood tinge (small amount) and she scooted again.  Can this be an infection? Or does it take awhile after they have been expressed for her to feel better?  I am going to give her a bit of rice and see if that helps.
It is a question as to what came first the chicken or the egg.  Diarrhea from a variety of causes including parasites, colitis, bacterial or viral enteritis and other causes can cause a problem with the anal glands.  Diarrhea, with little or no formed stool will not provide the necessary push and tension to help empty the anal glands, or, if the anal glands are infected or painful a dog will hold in stool for a longer time than necessary and can cause diarrhea.  

Since you are not an experienced anal gland emptier, you may have left some of the secretion which would cause your dog to continue to scoot.  It would be best to have a culture and sensitivity performed on the anal gland secretion, and a parasite check, direct smear and possibly a culture and sensitivity performed on the stool.  If nothing out of the normal is discovered, it could mean that your dog has stress colitis, or gastroenteritis, or dietary indiscretion, or food allergies or other causes.