Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Any ideas?
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Any ideas?

UK.  My collie is 12 years old, he has recently had a vascular tumour removed from his hind leg from which he has recovered fine. Recently he is itchy and is gnawing himself and his fur is very thin and falling out as he scratches. He has always been a manic skinny dog but now his back end is hardly more than fur covered bone although he is bright and eating well he now weighs 18.5kg, and I've not noticed him drinking more than usual. He does have a mild heart murmur but is not on any medication for anything. He's been treated for fleas with various treatments as have the other three dogs, and has been wormed with Drontal. Occasionally he retches but nothing comes of it, that may be down to his heart condition I'm told? He is off to the vet this week but I wondered if anyone might have any ideas?

Thanks.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Border collie
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 11, 2012
Country
:  
UK
2054217_tn?1330542034
Let me know what the vet says after an exam is done.
I would be most concerned with the extra drinking and the heart murmur. It sounds like the tumor has been successfully removed however he is losing weight and showing these other signs which is a concern. A urine test, cbc, and blood profile should be recommended to assess the health of all the organs.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity