Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Arthritis Pain Meds

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Arthritis Pain Meds
Our 14 year old Lab mix Sable has arthritis and is on Tramadol. It doesn’t seem to be working too well. She has many other health problems, and probably doesn’t have a lot of time left, so we would like to make her as comfortable as possible. She has kidney disease, high BP, and a Thyroid problem, so she is on Benazepral, and Thyrosyn. She hasn’t been eating well, and pain may be part of the problem. But, the Tramadol tends to make her loose her appetite. Is there a med that I could ask my vet about that would be more effective, and help with her appetite? Thank you.
Non steroidals such as Rimadyl are not to be used in kidney patients but depending on how high the kidney values are, I,  on occasion will use them if we get a considerable response.
We will monitor kidney values via blood tests and decide if the benefits outweigh the risks.
At 14 there could be other issues for the poor appetite and if the kidney values are elevated, Sable should be on an acid reducer such as zantac.
I wish you and Sable well.
I am sorry to hear about your dog and wanted to add a couple thoughts in addition to the expert recommendations given to you above by Dr Sims.

Tramidol is the generic form of a human medication called Ultram. Tramidol is not recommended to be given in dogs with a history of kidney disease, liver disease, seizure disorders and lung problems.

Tramidol side effects may include sedation, anxiety, bloating and gas, constipation, convulsive movements, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, hallucinations, indigestion, itching, nausea, nervousness, tremors, vomiting and weakness.

As a traditionally trained veterinarian with several years additional training and experience in holistic natural therapies, I have found that certain natural pet vitamin supplements provide safe and effective arthritis pain relief for arthritic dogs that are also affected with thyroid and kidney issues.

Various combinations of Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitan Sulfate, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C and Essential Omega-3 Fatty Acids are safe and extremely effective to relieve pet arthritis pain. There are also natural herbal kidney products that we have wonderful results with in our older canine patients with kidney failure that  have helped their kidney values; BUN and Creatinine and kidney function return to normal.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and would be glad to discuss this in detail. Feel free to contact our office.

Best Wishes
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM