Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Atopic dermatitis

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Atopic dermatitis

Hi Everyone, we have two dachshunds (Uncle and Nephew) who both suffer from contact grass allergies that results in itching irritated skin. The older dog is especially susceptible to skin infections.
I'm hoping somebody may be able to recommend one of the veterinary diets which supports the skin. Has anybody found one better than another?
Any other suggestions welcome. We don't have a lawn at home and walk them on the beach. We do go on grass occasionally but have a steroid spray we use, plus we bath them then moisturize. We also try and put them in a "coat" that covers their tummies but we still get some itching (maybe airborne pollen is now affecting them more?)
Thanks!!
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
3
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Wire haired dachshund
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 05, 2012
City
:  
Adelaide
State/Province
:  
South Australia
Country
:  
Australia
Great question. Atopic dermatitis is the name of the condition you are mentioning and the abdomen and feet are often the most common areas effected. At one time we believed that because the grass and pollen on your lawn is the source and the feet are itchy then it is a contact allergy, in fact that is not true. The same pollens are in the air and the condition is due to inhaling the pollen or irritant. With that being said, baths help remove any of the contact irritants and do lessen the severity of the symptoms.
Recommending a diet is difficult. I have had amazing success with Hill's prescription diet, as well as Royal Canin prescription diet. Ask your vet what they feel has worked well for them.
Understand though that we can only control this condition, we cannot cure it.
Good luck to you and I love the names!
I too have a doxie with sensitive skin that gets worse in Spring. I always thought it was either grass or polen in the air . I tried:
Royal Canin, Nutro Natural Choice, Taste Of The Wild. Recently I visited my Sister whom has 2 Doxies herself and buys nothing but "PURINA PRO PLAN" During my 5 day stay I noticed a differnce in my dog (Longfellow) coat. He remains on this food today and it has made a world of difference. He is 6 yrs old now and his coat has never looked this good!! I would HIGHLY reccomend PURINA PRO PLAN SENSITIVE SKIN AND STOMACH FORMULA. Thats what I use and (like my sis said)  if his coat looks this good then I know what its doing  for him internally!! Please try it and let me know if it works as well for your Dachshund as it has for mine.