Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Blindness post cardiac arrest

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Blindness post cardiac arrest

Hello, My cat suffered a cardiac arrest upon inductin of anaesthesia a few days ago and managed to be resucitated but suffered poss 2 minutes without oxygen. Her recovery is going well and she is physically much improved and is eating, drinking and going to the toilet, she a 6 1/2 year old Burmese. Unfortunately however she is blind and has some memory loss we think. The vet has examined her eyes which are functioning normally and reacting to light. I know that we can live with the blindness but at this stage she is still disoriented and frustrated. We are insuring that we keep up a routine and do not move things around etc. Is there any hope that this function may come back and do you know of anything that could possibly assist? Many thanks Tracy
There is still a chance that she may get back partial or complete eyesight over time but it may take months and of course it may not happen at all.  You may want to try some natural vasodilators such as ginko biloba.   Ginkgo Biloba contains the extract ginkgo flavone glycoside and this supplement has been shown to be useful for treating dementia, cerebral lesions such as strokes, and degenerative eye problems, and could help your cat.   You can use 1/8 to 1/4 a human dose and frequency.

A hyperbaric chamber could also be beneficial for your cat, but I don't know how practical it would be, or if you even have access to one.  

Even if she never gets back her eyesight completely she should adjust to her blind state over time, better than most humans would.

Let us know how it goes!