Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Blood in stool
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blood in stool

My 2 year old shitzu occasionally has diarreah (diarrhea) with blood droppings.  His stool was checked for parasites with negative results.  He acts normal, plays, eats, sleeps normally - What could be the problem? the vet recommended changing his diet from all hard food to chicken and rice.  The problem went away but occasionally resurfaces.  I currently feed him a mix of hard and soft food.
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
I would eliminate all hard food, and try putting your dog on a grain free or home-made diet. Good choices are Wellness canned grain-free, Orijin canned, grain free, Evo/Inova grain free.  California Naturals grain free, and others.  

Make sure that your vet tested your dog's stool for Giardia.  This is not a routine parasite check.  Giardia is difficult to find in the average stool and may require several tests to find the protozoa, but it does cause blood in the stool.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity