Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Blood in urine

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Blood in urine

I believe that my female cat has a urinary tract infection, she has all the symptoms;  blood in urine, urinating frequently, finding other spots in the house to go, small amounts of urine.  Is there anything over-the-counter I can get to treat her?  I really can't afford vet care at the moment.  I really appreciate any advice you give me.
It is really in your cat's best interest to take her to a veterinarian.  There are things that you can do at home prior to bringing her to the veterinarian as follows:

1. Only feed her canned food!  You can add a little bit of extra water to her canned food also.  The food should be mostly meat with out carbohydrates.
2. Supply her with a kitty water fountain which constantly refilters the water.
3. Put out bowls of tuna juice, clam juice or low salt chicken or other broth.
4. Corn Silk is a supplement that is helpful for the urinary tract.  It is available at health food stores.  They come in tablets, capsules or extracts.  You should use 1/8 to 1/4 human dose.  Do not use the extract in grain alcohol.  Use the tablets, capsules (open the capsule and empty on food), or extract in glycerine only.

PLEASE NOTE:  This is not a replacement for taking her to your veterinarian.  If there is blood in her urine she could have uroliths (bladder stones), or transitional cell carcinoma,  or other serious condition; it may not be a simple UTI.
You have to take the cat to the vet.  It is your responsibility as a pet owner.  If you can't afford private veterinary care, many Humane Societies offer lower cost care, some even have payment plans.

If you have a vet and a good payment history, many will allow you to make payments.  Not having the money is no excuse for not seeking veterinary care for your beloved pet.  
1. Blood in the urine can come from any condition that results in infection, inflammation, or injury to the urinary system.

2.Most cats with cystitis exhibit blood in the urine and discomfort in urinating. The discomfort is usually mild but can become much worse if it is not treated. Some cats may develop stones in the bladder which can be surgically removed, or dissolved with a special diet. Male cats may develop enough crystals in the urethra (the narrow tube carrying urine out of the body) to cause an obstruction

3.If cystitis is the real problem then a urinalysis is necessary to determine the proper medication. A special diet will help to dissolve crystals in the urine and hasten recovery.

4. Peekawho has given you an excellent advise, please seek care immediately.