Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Can I give him baby aspirin or some other kind of analgesic

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

What are my options here?  He is nowhere near the point of needing to be put down.  He responds to pain meds, and shows no evidence at all of having a life threatening illness such as cancer.  His symptoms present as arthritic problems, probably due to early life spent in a concrete cage with little exercise.  I am not exaggerating his energy level or his syptoms (symptoms). I cannot agree to scans that I can't pay for, that would not change the outcome or course of treatment. I realize there could be liver issues with long term medicating.  But, I will face that if and when it appears, but in the meantime, he does not deserve to be in pain.  How do I get what he needs to lead a fairly active and pain free life?

I have always had big dogs.  Always rescued from deplorable conditions. I know about hip displasia and other soft tissue and bone issues.  He eats lamb and rice, not more than 2.5 cups a day.  He is just a big boy.  He lives inside and sleeps by the wood stove.  I don't know what else to do.  Is there any naturalpathic remedies that actually work to minimize a big dogs arthritic doscomfort?
Type of Animal
:  
canine
Age of Animal
:  
6ish
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
mastiff/Rott
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 14, 2010
City
:  
everson
State/Province
:  
wa
Blood Test Results
:  
none taken but he was examined by vet, history given, ears cultured and a yeast infection/bacterial infec. was identified and medicine was prescibed to clear it up.  My biggest concern was/is his pain and discomfort when first getting up in morning, and intermittantly throughout the day.  I have kept him at his proper weight and I take him to the park daily.  My german shepherd who is a couple years younger, tries to get him to run and wrestle but he is more and more reluctant to engage.
X-Ray Results
:  
none taken  When he goes down my stairs in am or if it is real cold, he yelps loudly.  Yet, he eats and drinks well. voids, and good bowel activity.  He is alert and responsive, but he is in pain and I need to know how to alleviate it.  The vet gave me 3 weeks of pain meds, and the turnaround was nothing short of miraculous.  He ran and played more. He didnt need help getting into my van, and he cried out very little.  The trouble is they wont prescibe him anymore without ordering bone scans, liver panels, and ruling out bone cancer.  
Other pertinent test results
:  
   I asked for an estimate and was told at least 600 dollars.  I am living on 359.00 a month.  The charge for just looking at him was over 300.00.  I cannot finance the tests they are insisting on before putting him on a regime of meds.  I tried to order them online but was told I needed a drs. prescription.   I have scoured stores looking for an alternate form of pain control, but although they too are very expensive, there efficacy is marginal at best. I live for my animals.  It is tearing me up to have him in pain and not be able to provide properly for him. He was a rescue with a hard start in life.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Please do NOT give aspirin to your dog!

Aspirin can cause stomach (gastric) ulcers and internal bleeding which would not be helpful for your dog.

There are many pet vitamin supplements available over the counter, at retail and through your vet that are safe and effective to relieve canine arthritis pain. Various combinations of Glucosamine, MSM, Omega-3's, Hyaluronic acid and Chondroitan sulfate are wonderful for your dogs condition.

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM