Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Can You Recommend Alternative Treatments for Hyperthyrodism in Adult Ma...

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Can You Recommend Alternative Treatments for Hyperthyrodism in Adult Male Cat?

I have a sixteen year old cat who was recently diagnosed for hyperthyroidism and is being treated with methimazole. For the last few months, my vet has been regulating his bloodwork and changing his dosage accordingly. So far his dosage has been changed 3 time. We've noticed he wasn't himself from the beginning but recently the side effects have gotten a lot worse.He is scratching up his face, going to the bathroom all over the house and he's incredibly lethargic. I just read online that this is caused by the drug so we decided we have to take him off of it because he's so unhappy and we can't stand seeing him suffer. I was wondering if there was an alternative treatment for hyperthyroidism. We're hoping to avoid surgery if there is a way.
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
16
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Domestic Shorthair
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 01, 2012
City
:  
Collingdale
State/Province
:  
Country
:  
Delaware
Blood Test Results
:  
Geriatric bloodwork showed hyperthyroidism.
About one year ago, Hill's prescription food came out with a diet that cures hyperthyroidism...it sounds too good to be true but I now use it all the time. Y/D diet binds all vailable iodine so that the patinet can no longer produce elevated levels of the thyroid hormone. No more medication, no more thoughts of surgery.
Look it up, I am sure you will be pleased.