Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Can flea's live on humans?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Can flea's live on humans?

My cat had flea's, but I have treated them with Frontline, obviously there are probably eggs and flea dirt still around the house (I hoover regularly). I am concerned that fleas may possibly bite humans from around where I live and then come into my house and leave their flea dirt lying around, therefore I have human blood around my house. I know this sounds crazy but can fleas or flea dirt carry any diseases? I have a 3 year old who loves to play on the floor and a 5 month old who is starting to crawl and I am concerned for their health, could they catch anything (hepatitis etc). I could never get rid of my cat so I need to know the solutions
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
3
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Tabby Cat
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 15, 2009
Fleas can bite humans and carry organisms that can cause human disease, however, the dessicated (dry) "flea dirt" and eggs are highly unlikely to cause illness

Fleas can carry organisms in the class "Rickettsia" which are intra-cellular bacteria. Two types R. felis and R. typhi can both cause "typhus-like" symptoms in people, especially the very young and elderly. Symptoms in people include fever, muscle pain, skin rash and lethargy. The distribution of the illness in people has been reported as mostly in the southwest US. Treatable with antibiotics.

Fleas can carry a bacteria called Francisella tularensis which is the agent of the disease Tularemia. More common in fleas from rabbits. There are sporadic reports of this disease in Martha's Vineyard and other places from time to time. Treatable with antibiotics.

Fleas can carry a bacteria called Yersinia pestis which is agent of Bubonic plaque. As awful as this sounds, this illness is easily treated with many antibiotics. These are fleas that have lived on rats and this is also a southwestern US phenomenon.

In short, no need to panic, just use flea products on your pets regularly and that way newly hatched fleas will die quickly as they jump on the pet and also will do so before laying more eggs. If the house is heavily infested, have an exterminator visit once. And of course indor cats will not bring in more unwanted visitors.