Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cat feces
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cat feces

Hi,

I know this may seem like a weird question but lately I've noticed that my cat's feces are growing a lot of mold rather quickly. It's so thick- like a cocoon. Furry and blue tinted.

I have not changed any of her food or done anything different. At her last check up, she was declared completely healthy.

Should I be concerned???
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Domestic Shorthair- Tortoiseshell
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 15, 2010
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Any change in your cat's food intake or a change in the kitty litter may cause a change in how quickly mold grows on the feces.

If your cat's food is not stored in an airtight container it could contain extra moisture which could cause mold to grow on the food.  She would then be ingesting mold, and thus defecating it later on.  Not all molds are highly dangerous, however, but it can impact your cats gastrointestinal health adversely over time.  If there is a chance that her food could be moldy, please change her food and discard the old food.  

You did not mention where you are located but if you are located in a climate undergoing a rainy season right now,  the additional moisture and humidity in the air can cause faster mold growth on anything.

If your cat experiences any gastrointestinal problems please take her to the vet, however, I think that this is an environmental problem and not a health problem.
2 Comments
Blank
1566037_tn?1304302209

Thank you doctor!

All food is stored in airtight containers.

But it is also rainy winter season here in Hawaii so it makes perfect sense.

Thanks again for your answer.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank