Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cat flea treatment with Pyrethrins applied incorrectly.

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My 6 year old male cat has feline immunodeficiency virus and a flea allergy.  I applied an all over the body flea spray for cats containing the following ingredients:-

Pyrethrins 0.22% w/v
Piperonyl butoxide 1.10% w/v

The instructions said remove excess spray with a towel and don’t let the cat groom I didn’t realize this and I believe the cat did groom himself and ingest some of the product.  A few hours after applying he started foaming at the mouth and having minor twitches.  I washed him with warm water and soap and warmed him up with a hot towel.  It is 24 hours later and he isn’t foaming at the mouth anymore but seems to still be having very minor twitches.

Is he likely to suffer any permanent damage from this product or will he make a full recovery?  Should I be worried about him?

Thanks very much for your reply.
Sorry for the late reply.
Throw out the flea medication. Pyrethrins are quite toxic to cats and you never can be safe enough. It is possible that permanent neurological damage has occurred but only time will tell.
Your veterinarian can prescribe some safer options.