Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cat gaining weight

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Cat gaining weight

My cat was abandoned and living in a parking garage before I adopted him, so I have no idea about his medical history. I've had him for about 8 months, and he's about 2.

He's a large cat (vet estimated his ideal weight to be around 14 pounds, which he was at in early November). However, over the past two months he's put on a lot of weight. There has been no change in his diet or amount of exercise--he gets 3/4 cup food a day spread out over two meals (I feed him with a forager ball otherwise he eats everything in about 5 minutes, so it takes him around 30 minutes to eat each portion and he has to push the ball around to get at the food), and has never gotten treats. For a while, his weight was pretty static, but he's really added on the pounds the last two months (stomach/fat pad area is starting to hang low). I've cut his food back a little, but he's a big cat and 3/4 cup doesn't seem excessive for him. He gets some playtime each day, but is overall not a very active cat (he's also not very playful in general and won't play for very long and only with a few types of toys). He has a cat tree that he plays in as well.

Other than really trying to increase exercise, I'm not sure what else I should try. Should I bring him to the vet in order to get him checked out? (I'm a little reluctant to do this, since he's already had three separate vet visits since I got him, to monitor his weight and make sure he was healthy, and those add up!) Most of the advice I've seen tells me to limit portions/cut out treats, but he's never had anything other than controlled portions and no food treats.
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
2
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
tuxedo cat -- stray
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 05, 2011
City
:  
NY
State/Province
:  
NY
Country
:  
USA
test
Great question. Obesity and weight gain in cats and dogs is a serious concern. It leads to higher risks of arthritis, diabetes, urinary disorders, and an overall poorer quality of life. While 3/4 cup does not sound like a lot of food, the calorie density and carbohydrate content can make a big difference. I do not feel an examination is necessary, instead call your animal clinic and ask if you can speak with one of the team members about your concerns. Many vet technicians take a special interest in nutrition. This visit should be complimentary. There are some great nutritional options from your vet that utilize more fibre and higher protein levels that can help with weight loss. Mixing canned and dry food also help as long as the food choice is appropriate.
If none of that helps then I would schedule liposuction for your cat (please don't do this...I'm kidding of course)