Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cat has allergy?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Cat has allergy?

Recently may 2 year old cat has sores on her face from scratching. She is also constantly licking her paws. I have tried changing her dry food she has always eaten [Iams] to another brand [Nutro]. I have changed her food bowl from metal to glass. She is a house cat and never goes outside. It breaks my heart to see these sores on her face. What else can I do? Thank you. Linda
Is her water bowel plastic?  That must be changed also.  What do you use to clean the floor, or rugs?  I would try changing all your cleaning solutions to something hypoallergenic.  Her bedding, and your bedding (if she sleeps on the bed) should be washed in hot water with a chemical and fragrance-free laundry soap and no fabric softener should be used.  Replace all her toys with organic cotton toys, or make your own toys for her using materials that can be washed.

She must also be an a novel protein diet, this means that the protein in the food should be something she has never been exposed to before such as: duck and green, or  something else she has never been exposed to before for at least 12 weeks, and perhaps for life.  After the 12 weeks of food trial, you can try introducing her old food to see if there is a return to scratching, or licking, if there is than eliminate the culprit from her diet forever.

It might be a good idea to have her allergy tested than desensitized to the allergens.

Lastly,  if all else fails there is a chinese herb that may help but it must be used with the help of a holistic vet.  It is called San Ren Tang and is useful for really horrible itching.  It has side effects therefore seek the help of a holistic vet.  You can find a holistic vet in your area by visiting the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website.