Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cat throwing up still...

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Cat throwing up still...
Okay so I took in the neighbors cat because he was cold last winter (about Jan or Feb) they knew I did this to keep him safe from our busy street where cats tend to get killed all the time. Also to keep him warm and give him some food instead of fending for himself.  Anyway, idk...sometimes I wish they'd want the cat back but the lady doesn't like cats and it belonged to her hubby's kid (adult kid).  My point I am getting to is that I took him to the vet bc he was throwing up a bit and had diareeah and it was messy on his butt. They cleaned him up and gave me some kayopectate stuff (spelling?) and another med. They ran some tests (like lukemia and stuff) and he was fine. She said he seems to be healthy otherwise besides the stomach thing.  They gave me some science diet to give him for a few days in hopes it helped (wet food). He seemed fine for awhile and now his stool is harder than it ever was but he is throwing up again here and there.  I think it is the food...but what kind of food can I get to see if it helps? Any suggestions what to get a cat who has a digestive problem?
Quite a number or problems can cause vomiting and diarrhea.  For instance: He may have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or food allergy/intolerance.  He could also have GI parasites.   Vomiting without diarrhea can be caused by a number of illnesses including urinary tract infection, interstitial nephritis, hairballs, and even anal gland impactions, among others.

Going back to your vet to resolve this problem is best, of course.  There are things that you can try at home until you get to the vet, such as: giving 5 mg of Pepcid twice daily prior to meals, and giving probiotics mixed in food once daily.  Pepcid and a pediatric probiotic are both available over the counter.  The probiotic is given by the weight of your cat as listed on the label.  This can take 2 weeks or more to resolve the problem as your cat's gut repopulates with the beneficial flora.
Thank you very much. I am going to try those things until we can get back to the vet. I appreciate your help.