Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cat vomiting and losing balance

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Cat vomiting and losing balance

My cat is 9 years old. He usually vomits at least once a week, usually a hairball. Yesterday after he vomited he lost his balance. Tonight it happened again, only instead of just losing his balance he fell onto his side and had a difficult time getting up. He was not able to stand at all immediately after vomiting. It was so scary. He seems to be fine again now. I have an appointment for him with the vet. What could cause my cat to start losing his balance and fall over onto his side after vomiting? Is this usually a sign of something bad. I want to be prepared if it is a possibility of a bad illness because if it is it will be devastating to me. Since he fell over onto his side tonight I keep worrying that perhaps he is in renal failure or something else just as bad.

I almost took him into the pet emergency and if it happens again before his vet appointment that is what I am going to do.
He may have vestibulitis, from an ear infection.  This could cause the occasional bout of vomiting due to nausea, also.  An ear exam may show polyps or a bulging ear drum.  

Other abnormalities of the cranial nerves could be caused by trauma, or lesions in the brain.  If he did not lose consciousness when he lost his balance than it probably is not related to heart disease or seizure activity, however, some seizures do not cause loss of consciousness.

Kidney disease is easily diagnosed from bloodwork and urinalysis.  If he had kidney disease the symptoms would include increased drinking and urinating, anorexia, dehydration in later stages.  You did not mention those, so kidney disease is not high on the list.  I am glad you are taking him to the vet.  Diagnostics should be able to sort out your cat's problem.