Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cat vomitted light brown liquid/bile

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Cat vomitted light brown liquid/bile

What can cause my cat to vomit light brown liquid; I am under the assumption that it is stomach bile. Neither blood nor odor are present. She is nursing five kittens that will be three weeks old tomorrow. Their last check up was a week ago and all were deemed healthy; including Chelsea (mom cat). She has never vomitted before. The local pet store did not carry the kitten formula of the brand we feed her (she eats a combination of dry kitten formula science diet and portions of canned chicken soup for the kitten lover's soul) so we purchased a can of the adult cat formula. Could this be the potential cause of her nausea? I know it is impossible to diagnose an animal's condition via a web post, but I would like to know if it could be a sign of somthing more severe than food nausea. Thanks! This was also posted in the cats community forum.
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
Four
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Dom. short hair, tortie
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 19, 2009
State/Province
:  
VT
Blood Test Results
:  
Fine
X-Ray Results
:  
Fine
Other pertinent test results
:  
Fine
A sudden change in diet can make a cat vomit so the new food may very well be the cause.  It is best to introduce a new diet gradually.  I would get the food she is used to and see if that works better for her.  There can, of course, be other causes for the vomiting that your veterinarian can investigate.

If her vomiting continues, definitely take her to your veterinarian.  Vomiting or not eating can lead to dehydration.  She is at greater risk for dehydration due to the fact that she is nursing.  This can lead to greater problems for her and the kittens.