Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cautionary Chinese Herbs for Dogs

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Cautionary Chinese Herbs for Dogs

I am a licensed acupuncturist and regularly prescribe Chinese herbs/formulas for my patients.  I'm wondering if you can tell me where I can find a listing of herbs (pin yin) that would be cautioned or contraindicated for dogs?  I do not treat animals in my clinic, but I have two dogs, and want to make sure that the herbs I give them are safe.
Thank you very much!
Shana
The FDA has forced the elimination of most dangerous herbs in Chinese Herbal Formula's in the US.  Aconite and Ma Huang can still be found in some Chinese Herbal formula's available by prescription.  

The same herbs that are toxic in humans would also be toxic in dogs.

I use Evergreen, Kan and Mayway Herbal Companies herbal formula's in pets.  They are human products, and you should be able to talk to an herbalist from one of these companies if you have any concerns.

Dr. Xie's Jing Tang Herbal Company only sells to veterinarians but if you call them they may sell you Dr. Xie's "Chinese Veterinary Herbal Handbook"  which lists over 200 of the most commonly used veterinary herbs.

The "Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine, Science & Tradition", by Susan G. Wynn, DVM, and Steve Marsden, DVM. is also very helpful.

Both of these books may be available at Amazon or Ebay.