Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Chihuahua food suggestion

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Chihuahua food suggestion

I have a 1 year old tea cup Chihuahua which weighs 1.9 pounds. I was wondering what kind of food you recommend for him. I currently feed him Royal Canin dry food for Chihuahuas. I was wondering if you think it is sufficient or if I should also supplement anything else. I know in general they are suppose to be small but I am a little concerned because he is so thin. I can actually feel his ribs. What can I give him to gain a 1/2 a pound or so?

Do you recommend adding wet food to his dry food? If yes what kind or brand?

I would appreciate any guidence you can give me.

Thank you in advance,
Stacy

I do recommend some wet food along with the dry food.  Before the 20th century  there was no commercial dog food.  Commercial dog foods come into being during World War I,  when they needed a convenient ration for the K-9 corps and eventually commercial dog and cat food became wide spread to become a common house hold item.

The best commercial dog food out there will contain NO glutin products, and the first ingredient will be meat or fish.  Other important ingredients will be fruits, vegetables and vitamin and minerals. My favorite dog foods are: Evo/Inova, Wellness, Nature's Ultra and Orijin.  New, healthier dog foods are coming out all the time also.  It may take a bit of work but you must read every label.  If you are satisfied with your dog's current food just feed a bit more, and add some canned food.
i give my Chihuahua all kind of  dog food wet,dry he don't eat it. And when i get human food he like it.what should i do. And i know he not sick
I'm not a vet, but I do know dogs.  You have a behavioral issue with your chihuahua.  So many times, small dogs develop these problems because they are treated like human babies instead of like the dogs that they are.  They get spoiled and neurotic, and people think that's just fine because they're so "cute" and small and could never hurt anyone when they eventually become aggressive.  Small dogs can do plenty of damage given a chance.  I recommend that you find a trainer to work with you so you can learn what it is that dogs need to lead both a physically and mentally balanced life.  In a nutshell, that means discipline (rules, boundaries and limitations) and exercise.