Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Chinchilla Ear infection?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Chinchilla Ear infection?

Today I noticed that my chinchilla has an orange colored crust in his ear. I don't know if its like ear wax or an infection of some sort. The ear looks a little redder than the other. I don't have enough money to take it to the vet so I was wondering if you could help.
Here is a link to the picture.
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/goodyboy313/2.jpg
I viewed the photo.  Thanks for posting it!

The problem with outer ear infections in Chinchilla's is that they can lead to middle and inner ear infections if not treated.  The ear infection could be due to an infestation of ear mites, a bacterial or fungal infection or a combination.  I can't tell from the photo what kind of infection it is but I am leaning toward a bacterial infection.

I don't know if the pet stores have any over the counter ear medications for Chinchilla's but if they do, you can try it for a short period of time (2 days) but if it is ineffective please take your Chinchilla to the vet.

Since you don't have enough money for a vet try applying for Care Credit.  Care Credit is a low to no interest credit card that can only be used for medical or veterinary bills.  You could then take your Chinchilla to the vet and pay it off slowly.
ok thanks for replying, i talked to my mom and she suggested we use this medication i got for my ear infection... i dont know if that would work or not. should i try it? and im gonna try to get it to the vet if not.
Going to the vet is best, but if your ear medicine is not contaminated than you can try it.  Let us know if your ear medicine works.