Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Chinese Herbal Medication for Epilepsy
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chinese Herbal Medication for Epilepsy

Doctor,

My bunny is epileptic and taking phenobarbital which only controls seizures partially although it was increased to 2 pills a day.  In the past, I tried Epitrol sold by Natural Solutions Inc but it did not do anything.  (Epitrol looks a lot like a combination of Di Tan Tang and Din Xian Wan.)  I would like to try Xiao Chai Hu Tang and Gui Zhi Jia Shao Yao Tang.  But I cannot find enough information to make sure they are safe for rabbits.  I believe Gui Zhi Jia Shao Yao Tang may be toxic because of Peony.  

Please advise.
Type of Animal
:  
Rabbit
Age of Animal
:  
2-2 1/2
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Dutch
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 04, 2009
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Chinese herbal formula's may contain toxic ingredients, occasionally, but they are so well balanced that the formula's themselves are not toxic.  There are a few toxic herbal formula's that are only used for a very brief period of time, and non-of these are for seizure disorders.  Additionally,  most formula's compounded in this country have removed the toxic ingredient and substituted a nontoxic ingredient.

Side effects can occur if the wrong formula is given for the patient.

All of the herbal formulas that your have listed should be fine for your rabbit.   Use a half or quarter dose of the Gui Zhi Jia Shao Yao Tang.

Most formulas for seizures are very cooling formula's and may change the consistency of the stool adversely.   And, of course, if there is any adverse reaction, stop and reevaluate.

As always, Chinese herbal medicine should be used only under veterinary supervision.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity