Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Concussions in puppies

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Concussions in puppies

My puppy slipped on her way down the stairs yesterday morning took a pretty bad tumble the rest of the way down, then bumped her head on the wall and knocked herself out. She went limp so my boyfriend and I scooped her up and took her to the nearest animal hospital. They put her on oxygen, did a physical exam, hooked up an IV and decided to keep her over night because she wasn't very responsive. We picked her up this afternoon and she is in worse shape than I thought. From the vet bill I can see that they gave her an antibiotic injection, steroid injection and various fluid therapies.  They sent us home with Clavamox 62.5 mg, Mycitracin, Prednisone, and Nutri –Cal to give to her.  She is very out of it and just lays in the bed I have made for her. Her breaths are slow and shallow in, yet quick and shallow out.  She is eating but is having major problems standing. After she eats she attempts to squat to relieve herself but usually just flops down, and she hasn’t had any bowel  movements while in my care. The vet is closed for the weekend and I have so many concerns. Her blank stares and lack of movement have me horrified. Is there something more that I should be doing? Should I take her to another vet? Are there long term effects of her injury?
- I am very worried and need some piece of mind.
Age
:  
7 months
Breed
:  
yorkie-poo
Gender
:  
female
Spayed/Neutered
:  
no
State
:  
Florida
Veterinary Visit (month/year)
:  
09/2010
Diagnosis
:  
concussion
Weight
:  
7 lbs
Another opinion never hurts however as long as she is eating and drinking on her own she need not be hospitalized. The prednisone should help with swelling in the brain and time should reveal her outcome.
If there is a neurologist in your area an exam would be a good idea.Most counties in florida have a specialty clinic within driving distance.
The good news is she age on her side!