Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cradle Cap

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Cradle Cap
My Bailey has what looks like cradle cap. I had him at the vet last month. She gave him antibotics, doggie benydrl, and Sebozole (miconazole nitrate 2% chloroxylenol 1% ) to shampoo him in twice a week. And she also did a fungial test and it came back negative. I did everything she told me too and he is not getting better if anything it's worse.
I have changed his food and treats (this week), his shampoo. I really can't afford another 110.00 vet bill with more meds. If this is a cradle cap type problem. Is there something I can try before incurring another high vet bill.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Char213
Could you please answer a few questions?

1.  Could you post a photo?  
2.  Is there hair loss?
3.  Is your dog itchy?
4.  Did it occur gradually or suddenly?
5.  Did your vet perform a skin scraping?
6.  What flea and tick preventative do you use?

Thanks!  Answers to these questions and a photo would help enable to give a better answer, or answers to your dog's problem.
In response to your answer

1.  Could you post a photo?   yes soon as I figure out how too
2.  Is there hair loss? yes in spots where clumps of flaky skin comes off
3.  Is your dog itchy? yes
4.  Did it occur gradually or suddenly? gradually
5.  Did your vet perform a skin scraping? yes said it was negative for ringworm
6.  What flea and tick preventative do you use? advantix
I have pictures posted now. In my photos

Thank you again for all your help
Charlotte
Sorry for the delay.

The photos like like Demodex infection.  It can be common in younger dogs.  Did your vet perform a skin scraping?  The medication for mange is not expensive.  The most common medication is Ivermectin.  Daily doses of Interceptor can also be used but is more expensive.

It may take 3 months or so to treat the infection due to the complex life cycle of the mite.  Luckily Demodex is not contagious to people.