Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cushings Disease
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cushings Disease

My Chihuahua was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 2 1/2 years ago.  My vet was pretty sure it was Cushings but did the ACTH test to confirm.  He was started on a loading dose of Lysodren for a week or so and then a maintenance dose of 1/4 500 mg tablet 2 times per week.  Over the last couple years, he relapses every 6 months or so.  I can usually tell by his water consumption, frequent urination and panting.  He has never lost the big belly or the bowed back which I thought eventually would happen.  Because of his weight issue, he now has been diagnosed with slipped discs in his neck and back and takes Tramadol for pain.
Each time that he relapses, it is very expensive for the ACTH tests - one before and one after the reloading period.  I am a widow on Social Security and can barely pay my bills.  I frequently go without my medication so that I can buy his Lysodren.  But my biggest issue is that during each reloading, he gets so sick.  Very lethargic, and weak.  It has only been 2 months since his last ACTH (pre number was 7 and post number was 2) I think I may have jumped the gun that time but I had just moved and maybe it was the stress of the packing and moving that made me think he was sick again.  Now I see again that he is drinking more, etc.  He has also developed a dry, hacking cough that ends with him gagging which has me concerned.  I am at my wits end and don't know what to do.
Each time that I take him for the testing, I say it is the last time but I do not want to lose him.
Any advice that you can give me especially about the cough would be appreciated.  But my main question is, what would happen if I just stopped his Lysodren?  Would he be able to live?  Would he be in pain?  Please help.  Thank you.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuahua
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
June 29, 2011
City
:  
Millville
State/Province
:  
New Jersey
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results