Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Dark Spots

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Dark Spots

I noticed a black spot showing up on my dog's belly about a month ago, i thought it was dirt at first but upon further inspection i noticed it was part of her skin, shes never had this spot there before and i thought it might go away but so far it hasn't. i just checked it and noticed it was peeling like a sun burn but only in the area of the dark spot also while i was looking i noticed that her vaginal area has some dark spots also. what could this be? she licks down there a lot but i just assumed thats what dogs do sometimes. could something be going on? should i take her to see a vet? thank you for you time!
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
German Shepard
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 12, 2008
City
:  
Independence
State/Province
:  
Missouri
Dark scaly spots on the skin can be due to a localized skin infection, most commonly bacterial or yeast, less commonly ringworm/fungal infection or demodex mange mites. The increased licking (which is the way dogs scratch themselves when they are itchy), suggests infection is causing itch. The skin increases pigment as a protective response due to the inflammation. Additionally, older dogs can develop flat pigmented skin areas as an aging change, but anything that is raised or bumpy raises the concern of a melanoma or other skin tumor. I recommend that you take her to your veterinarian for diagnosis and treatment.
Good Luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Dermatology
www.dermvet.com
Thank you so much for your reply! everything you said was VERY helpful!