Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Demodectic Mange *URGENT*

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Demodectic Mange *URGENT*
Hi, my westie has been infected by demodectic mange and was prescribed amitraz and some antibiotics. However, it doesn't seem to work and it seems to be worsening instead. It started off at the feet and now it's spreading to other parts of the body. I've applied amitraz and bandaged the infected parts, made her wear the elizabethan collar to prevent her from biting her feet but its not getting any better. She was prescribed steroids in the past because the vets determined her condition to be some sort of food allergy. She is on a diet of hypoallergenic dry food, leafy greens, potatoes, carrots and pork. Injections administered by vets proved temporary relief. Demodex wasn't detected in skin scraping tests in the past till now. She also went through lymph node surgery but test results were fine.

Vet recommended amitraz dip twice weekly and completed course of antibiotics but seems to be worsening instead. She's still bleeding and has pus-filled lesions. Extremely sore and swollen paws. I shaved off fur from affected areas in order to administer medicine more effectively. Does hydrogen peroxide help? I want to use a milder or more holistic approach if possible, she's been getting spasms and mildly sedated after amitraz dips. I've also been putting her on organic supplements to boost her immune system.

Is there any other more effective ways to treat this? Please help, I feel so lost seeing her in such pain and trauma.

Refer to pic below(top is leg, bottom is belly):
http://i.imgur.com/9BAkH.jpg
Hi Dr Carol,

It was diagnosed through skin scrape. I believe my westie's immunity has always been low because whenever we bring her to the vet for regular check-ups, the vet will administer injections to ease the itch. This actually suppresses the immunity, causing demodex to thrive.

We're already trying to boost her immunity by introducing various food supplements, but it isn't helping much. We're also trying different kinds of antiseptic wash.

Thanks for the reply.