Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Diabetes test for my cat?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Diabetes test for my cat?

I saw there are quite a few tests to check the glucose at home for cats.  What is the difference between Glucotest and Pawcheck?  Is urine test reliable?
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
10
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
bengal
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 13, 2012
City
:  
San Marcos
State/Province
:  
ca
Country
:  
USA
I am not familiar with these two brand names but as a general statement, the best way to assess blood glucose levels is by using a human glucometer and test strips and not checking the urine. Urine glucose levels fluctuate significantly and then as the urine collects and sits in the bladder, everything gets mixed together. So essentially the urine glucose level is like an average over many hours. Your vet can show you how to easily collect a drop of blood from your cat.