Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Diarrhea - nothing else?
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Diarrhea - nothing else?

I got my cat Simon in November 2008 (he was 6 months old) and he's had diarrhea ever since.  They diagnosed him with ghiardia around Christmas time and both him and my other cat (who is fine and never had loose stools to date) were treated.

A month later, the diarrhea started again!  I took him in for testing around March 09 and basic fecal tests were done...and nothing was found.  My vet said to try adding a bit of plain Metamucel to their food every day and its seemed to help but not fix the problem.

There's nothing else wrong with him.  He has a healthy appetite (in fact he's a big eater) and water consumption is good.  His coat has gotten much shinier and softer since he was sick and everyone agrees he's a  beautiful cat.  He's gaining weight, active and very happy/energetic.  However he still has soft stool.  No blood or black tarry feces - just a little loose and a little stinky.  What could this be?  Should I try switching food (I've yet to do that)?

I'm very sensitive to their behavior and have not noticed any other abnormalities about him.  The only thing I can say is he's an extremely nervous cat.  He was abandoned at a young age and I think developed a very "scaredy cat" mentality from that.  Can cats get diarrhea from nerves just like people?  
Tags: diarrhea
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
less than 1 year
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Maine coon mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 01, 2009