Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Diarrhea vomiting lethargic panting shaking

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My 12 yr old boston terrier started having diarrhea and some vomiting about 6 months ago, I would take him to our regular vet he prescribed anti diarrhea meds, sometimes nausea, he tested him for parasite  and was negative, de wormed him anyway. Gave him an antibiotic for 7-10 days, he was somewhat better stool was firm again several weeks went by and yet again water straight out no firmness at all or anything straight water, would go out many many times a day and strain to try and go with nothing coming out. arched back from squatting so much he was dehydrated couldnt hardly walk weak back end, no eat hardly drink. vet gave him dewormer again shot for back steroid anti diarrhea and vomiting meds, 5 days went by he was still squatting and this time it was like pudding instead of water, he was eating and playing normally drinking water other dog had an apt for nail trim and told vet he was better but still no firm stool and he gave me another emd just for diarrhea i gave that to him friday and saturday he was eating and his stool firmed up perfectly. Sunday morning same thing as before, got worse went into coma stretched out paws cold moaned a few time before coma died of rep arrest
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
12
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
boston terrier
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 27, 2012
First off I am very sorry for your loss.
Diarrhea 99% of the time is pretty straight forward. Its often a simple bacterial overgrowth or viral infection and resolves quickly to medication. The initial tests and medications attempted by your vet were the right choice. When diarrhea is chronifc and/or does not respond to prescribed medications, tests such as a CBC and blood profile are often recommended, as are B12 and folate tests and fecal cultures. At this time we are looking for less common conditions such as IBD, HGE, PLE, or neoplasia. It is impossible to say what the cause of this tragic passing is thoughas it is a little too late. I do wonder if the diarrhea and nothing to do with your dog passing away.
I am sorry I could not e more helpful.
Appreciate your comments, He responded to the meds the dfirst time, however last Sunday he did not respond to the anti diarrhea, or the nausea meds he stopped drinking, do you think I waited too ong and he got to dehydrated and went into the coma?  he was injected with 200ml on monday evening and tuesday he threw up everything he drink...and then cma tuesday night. Keep beating my self up over the fact that maybe I should have taken him sooner but he went downhill so fast.